Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wine a Little (or a Lot)! How to Make a Back Splash out of Wine Corks

First off let me say that NO, I did not drink all of those bottles of wine.  Why is it that everyone asks me that question when they look at my gorgeous splash board.




Secondly, I want to let everyone know I did not glue the corks to the wall.  Recently I bought a mobile home that needs a lot of work.  Matter of fact one of my next blogs will be How to Paint Your Counter-tops to Look Like Granite!  But back to the splash board....

I was looking for some cork boards like I use when I make the wine cork bulletin boards, but this time around they were too expensive.  I was at Michael's and found some thick poster board for $1.00 a sheet.  I pieced two of them together by taping them together on the back.

I gathered up all of my collection of corks and started gluing.  I like to use E6000 as I have found in crafting that nothing falls off once glued down.  The size of this board, roughly 36 inches wide took 3 1/2 tubes of E6000. 

Since I'm also a quilter, I liked to put them in a pattern.  I literally took one cork at a time, rolled it to the good side (I like the maker stamp showing) and dabbed it with glue.  I did one half the first day and the 2nd half the following day.  If I did it over again, I would have painted the poster board first in a medium khaki color.

I put it up on the wall with some double-sided mounting table.  I taped 4 long strips along the width and was amazed - and happy - that when I put it up on the wall and pressed it, it stayed.

I just got the new stove and the new black range hood and have to say I am proud of the way it turned out. 

Note:  I glued it to the poster board in case I don't stay here long, I can remove it, paint the wall, and still have my beautiful splash board.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea Jan, think I might get Randy to get me some more wine corks! :) Crystal

    ReplyDelete